A3. Hawaiian Song Structure & Vamps

Originally published at: A3. Hawaiian Song Structure & Vamps. Replies here will cross-post to the original lesson page.

Use this thread to ask questions, share experiences, and discuss the topic at hand.

I’ve got to tell yah, I was busy playing Mozart on my Uke when I stumbled upon your courses. I had no interest in Hawaiian music. You had me intrigued enough to enroll and now have me sold. Again, I love your teaching style and the production quality of your product. I too will be referring back to these lessons again-and-again until memorized :-). Thanks, —Brian

3 Likes

Lots of old Hawaiian music is very classical influenced. Especially the compositions by royalty (Liliʻuokalani is most well known and arguably the best, but many aliʻi were composers) are very much in that vein.

This is a fabulous new project by one of our very best musicians looking back on some of those early compositions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n91mo5cpwYk. “He Mele Lāhui Hawaiʻi” by Liliʻuokalani (and on this album) to me is one of the most beautiful compositions I’ve ever heard.

3 Likes