Single String Songbook

Originally published at: Single String Songbook. Replies to this thread will be cross-posted there.

Discussion for my Single String Songbook ebook - both standard and extended edition.

What is a surprise song from the book that you’ve enjoyed learning?

1 Like

I had strummed Hawai’i Aloha and always loved hearing it played by others. I never imagined that I could learn to pick the melody so easily and was surprised by how this Single String Songbook helped to open up the fretboard to previously unexplored territory. I was dumbfounded when I realized that I could actually pick the melody in 4 DIFFERENT KEYS!!! Mind blown. Mahalo nui loa Brad.

1 Like

This might sound silly, but except for Happy Birthday, The Wheels on the Bus and When The Saints… I don’t really know any of the songs in both the Single String Songbook or the Step by Step ebook.
Where would you suggest to familiarise myself with them? I guess there will be different versions of them.

Thanks,
Fabio

1 Like

Fabio,
Great question. I’ll probably give you the same advice that Brad would offer. Do a search on YouTube or Apple Music or Spotify, and you will often find multiple versions of any given song. Listen to several versions to get idea of how the song goes and spend time with one that you like to get a feel for the melody.

This is a particularly good recording of Hawai’i Aloha but you can find many more on YouTube

Bob

1 Like

If you’re starting from scratch it’s a good idea to try as many versions as you can listen to. These are all traditional so some of them have been interpreted in new ways. If you listen to five or six versions, you should start to hear the common threads.

Here are a couple that are right along how I arranged the tunes:

Let me know if there are any specific tunes you want a reference for.

2 Likes

Wow, you continue to surprise me with your musical diversity. Who would have thought that you were a Crooked Still or Michael Martin Murphy fan. I’ve always loved Aoife O’Donovan’s voice and had the opportunity to see her perform with Crooked Still and a couple of times with other bands after they broke up.

Thanks Bob,

Much appreciated!

Apologies for the late reply. I was at a Ukulele festival… loads of talented acts but not my scene. Far too much drinking and unhealthy eating.
I’ve got nothing against the elderly as I’m fast approaching the milestone, however I find it quite depressing when you don’t see the next generation of players. I was told by reliable sources that this is an unfortunate UK phenomenon and it’s very different in Continental Europe… Thanks God for that!

1 Like

Hi Brad,

Thanks very much! You’re always so helpful.
I hope you had a great time at the workshop and you had some time for yourself too.

As I was saying to Bob I went to my first Ukulele festival, and I’m pretty sure it will be my last. Shame, but it’s really not my scene. I enjoyed some of the acts but the UK drinking culture is way too much for me.
I’ve tried to capture some of it in some videos of you guys are interested. Nothing professional, just my iPhone.
Let me know if you guys are interested in it. I can share an album through iCloud.

I will get back to you with some additional queries once I’ve worked through the videos you gentlemen have kindly provided me with.

Cheers,
Fa

Fabio,
I see the same thing at the ‘Ukulele conventions and workshops that I have attended. Lots of grey hairs like me. Many more retired folks and not so many of the younger generations in attendance. I’m not sure why, but perhaps they choose to spend their money on other things. It all comes down to priorities I suppose. Hope that you picked up some good tips and tricks at your recent gathering.

1 Like

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately no workshops as they were all in the early morning and couldn’t get there on time.

I’ve got mostly grey hair and I don’t have problems with it, yet I think the Ukulele community should take notice and make the Uke more exciting, same as Brad does! I don’t think the future for young people will be on traditional music unfortunately… it takes time and wisdom to appreciate that.

Take good care,
Fa

1 Like